Myoko Backcountry Snow Venture - New for 2017!
Mountain Ventures Australia
(MVA) is a tour company who are passionate about providing unforgettable snow adventures combining culture and amazing powder runs whilst improving your skiing and snowboarding along the way!
MVA guides all have formal guiding qualifications relevant to the various levels of skiers and boarders they are guiding.
The Myoko Backcountry Snow Venture tour is based in beautiful Myoko-Kogen Japan
where the average snowfall is a crazy 13+ metres per season. In Myoko you can immerse in real Japanese culture and gain experiences unlike the bigger and more popular Japanese
resorts where westerners turn up in droves.
This tour incorporates 5 days of backcountry skiing in and around the Myoko Kogen area (including 1 night staying out in the backcountry in a rustic mountain hut) plus you will have an extra couple of days to do your own (more skiing around the resort or maybe a cultural tour such as the temples in Nagano or the snow monkeys).
You can expect to be hanging out with a variety of like-minded people, solo travelers, couples and groups (average ages of 24 to 50 but if you are outside of this age range it doesn't mean you aren't welcome). The minimum age for these tours is 18.
The tour has a maximum of 12 guests, however the maximum group size you will ski/board in is 5 guests to an instructor/guide.
MVA personnel will be available 24 hours a day to make sure you have the most epic time possible.
Ability & Fitness
This tour is for Advanced to Expert skiers and boarders only. For 3 of the days you will be using the lifts in conjunction with some hiking & touring to access the best terrain and powder around Myoko Kogen. The other 2 days you will ride the lifts to the top and head out deep into the backcountry where you will spend a night in the wilderness in a rustic mountain hut.
Due to the amount of hiking and touring, you should have a good level of fitness prior to joining the tour.
Ideally you will have some touring experience however this is not mandatory and your guide will assist you in becoming proficient in this area.
Most of all you should have a great sense of adventure as this is a real adventure.
Skiers will need touring bindings and skins whereas snow boarders will require either (or both) split board and skins or snow shoes. All skiers and boarders will require avalanche safety gear including backpack, shovel, probe and beacon.
If you don't have this equipment, MVA can assist you in renting this equipment prior to your arrival.
Myoko Kogen is home base....
...qualified backcountry guiding...
...and superb (& inexpensive) food
Located away from the hussle and bussle of the main village, yet still within walking distance, Myoko Silverhorn offers Japanese style twin share rooms just across the street from the main Gondola.
Rooms are either western-style beds or Japanese-style (futons on the Tatami floor). Each has a TV and hand basin however all guests use shared segregated male/female toilets on each floor and bathing is done in the on-site segregated onsen.
With warm and friendly service, daily buffet breakfast, free Wi-Fi and hot baths Myoko Silverhorn has it all.
- Japanese-style bath house (onsen)
- Large dining area
- Library sitting area
- Communal drying room
- Coin operated washing machine
- Free wifi
The Overnight Adventure
...communal living / dining area...
.....on-site segregated onsen
On one of the nights, you will stay at a remote mountain hut located high up in the Myoko Kogen mountains.
The hut is very rustic and has no running water, no kitchen, the toilets will be buried in snow so the good old squat in the snow technique will be required. It is pretty much a glorified tent!
It does however have futons and blankets and you are welcome to carry your own sleeping bag up the the hut if you have one (but the blankets will be adequate if you don't).
Supplies will be sherpered up to the tent prior to you getting there so you wont have to carry much more than your personal gear.
Below is an outline of what is included in your Myoko Backcountry Snow Venture. The itinerary may change due to weather, unforseen circumstances, etc. Free days may be moved.
Day 1 (your venture begins)
The day you’ve been counting down to is finally here! Feel free to arrive anytime throughout the day, if you want to get out and explore the local resort or the town, it’s up to you.
In the evening you will have a "welcome dinner" and drinks where you’ll meet everyone including your guides for the instruction days.
Day 2 (avi day)
Time to absorb as much knowledge as you can. After breakfast you will head to your training grounds where we will learn all the ins-and-outs of avalanche safety.
Days 3 & 4 (hike days)
Spend 2 days out in the backcountry putting into practice everything you've learnt while picking up more tricks along the way. Guide to participant ratio 1:5 plus Mountain Ventures Australia Staff.
Days 5 & 6 (free days)
These days are kept in reserve in case of poor weather conditions. On your free days the choice is yours! You can decide to attend one of the activities below or just hang out and put your feet up in front of the fire at the accommodation and let your muscles recover.
MVA can arrange the following activities with a few days’ notice (additional costs may be incurred).
- Extra days on the snow with MVA guides
- Visit to the Snow Monkeys
- Park lessons
- Snow Bikes
- Snow shoe hike
Day 7 & 8 (the overnight experience)
It's time to test all your new skills and learn some more by camping out the back of Myoko at a remote and very rustic hut. This will enable you and the group to go further into the backcountry and experience even more terrain.
After returning from your amazing overnight back country experience, it’s time to wrap up an incredible week and share stories and memories at the "farewell dinner".
Day 9 (your venture continues)
Sadly it's time to say goodbye.
Departure time is completely up to you, there is the option to leave your bags at the accommodation and if you’re completely hooked on amazing Myoko you can pay for an extra day of riding.
Rates & Inclusions
- based on twin, triple & quad share per person
- if you are a solo traveler or have an odd number in your group that doesn't match up with the available rooms, you will be placed in a room with other people on the tour
- there is no single room supplement available for this tour
- base/invoice currency in Australian Dollars
- 7 nights lodge-style accommodation.
- 1 night in a rustic mountain hut
- Local, professional and knowledgeable guides at your service 24/7 to give you the best experience.
- Welcome dinner and drinks to get to know everyone right from the beginning.
- Daily cooked hot breakfast so you’re full of energy for a day out the back.
- Free Wi-Fi so you can stay connected back home.
- 1 day of Avalanche rescue training
- 2 days private backcountry instruction and guiding with small 1:5 ratio so you can develop and refine your backcountry skills.
- 2 days/1 overnight backcountry experience to really test your backcountry skills.
- Private transfer for the 5 days we head into the backcountry.
- All lift tickets required for the 5 days instruction.
- All food provided while out in the backcountry for the 5 days of instruction.
- The chance to head out to dinner with the crew every night to a different restaurant to sample the best of what Myoko offers.
- 2, 3 and 4-share western and Japanese-style rooms available.
- An exclusive 20% discount at Snow Monkey Snow shop.
- Farewell dinner and drinks to say goodbye to all your new friends.
- Group tour activities, games and lots more!
- Rental equipment
- Airport transfers to Myoko
- Rest day activities
- Additional nights & days on snow