By Mint Tours
Mint Tours is a snow travel specialist and guided-tour company. They aim to offer a true locals perspective for snowboarders and skiers visiting the Southern Alps of New Zealand’s South Island and the powder regions of Japan, Canada, USA and beyond. They are a licensed snow travel agency that specialise in all-inclusive snow packages and tours including; flights, accommodation, transport, lift-passes, and professional guiding and coaching to ensure your experience on snow is maximised.
Madarao and Myoko Tour
You'll spend your first three nights in Madarao. Madarao
is a freeriding gem with some great tree skiing that is reasonably easy and ideal for those new to powder riding and tree runs.
Your time in Madarao will include a day of backcountry guiding where you'll get the opportunity to ride backcountry terrain virtually nobody outside of Japan has experienced. The tour is run by the Madarao ski patrol who have been guiding their friends in this region for decades. This is a true secret spot. Backcountry safety packs are
It’s then a short one hour transfer to Myoko where you'll spend the following 5 days riding all 4 ski
areas in Myoko Kogen. Myoko Kogen
is fast becoming one on Mint Tours' favourite places to ride in Japan. Located in Niigata prefecture on the main island of Honshu, Myoko is somewhat unknown outside of Japan, with most people heading to the better-known resorts of Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen or just heading north to Niseko. Crazy when you consider that Myoko gets 13 metres of annual snowfall
, meaning powder snow is virtually guaranteed throughout the snow season. Deep untracked pow, easily accessed side-country and virtually no lift lines
is what Myoko dishes out.
Daily guiding and hosting is provided. The lodge in Myoko is a traditional Japanese pension with a shared onsen and breakfast daily. There's even a bar on-site!
- 3 nights twin share accommodation at Madarao Kogen Hotel (western style with ensuite)
- 6 nights twin share accommodation at Pension Akarien in Myoko (Japanese style with shared bathroom)
- Backcountry guiding day in Madarao, including use of backcountry equipment
- Western or Japanese breakfast daily
- Return scheduled transfers from Tokyo Narita Airport
- Myoko to Madarao private transfers
- 7 days lift tickets (2 days Madarao / 5 days Myoko)
- Resort guiding and hosting every day
- Nightly tours to local restaurants and bars
- Free access to Nitro Snowboards powder fleet
- Mint merchandise